Christopher Bowers MS, DMD
Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
- An OSCE is a standardized, simulation-based assessment tool used to comprehensively evaluate candidate’s cognitive, psychomotor, & affective clinical skills.
- It is a structured station-based examination designed to assess multiple students’ clinical performances over the same materials, at the same time.
- Each station is timed & creates a simulated scenario that often involves the use of Standardized Patients (or actors), typodonts, manikins, medical histories, radiographs, mouth models, instruments, etc.
- Each station tests different clinical skills and levels of knowledge based on predetermined criteria that are evaluated by calibrated instructors using standardized checklists and rubrics.
- All of this is achieved without ever altering the health of a human subject.
OSCE Workshop Questions
On June 9, 2021 over 30 dental faculty members convened to participate in a unique virtual workshop titled, Evaluation of Clinical Skills: Can we improve Reliability and Validity using an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)?
This 3-hour virtual workshop, led by Jack D Gerrow CM, DDS, MS, MEd, LLD(hon) contained lively discussions on a number of relevant current topics including: The challenges associated with obtaining valid and reliable clinical evaluation in dentistry, the advantages and limitations of patient-based examinations, manikin tests, daily grades and case-based examinations to evaluate clinical skills and much more.
Below you will find a wide variety of OSCE exam questions crafted by the team. Feel free to incorporate these into your curriculum. Stay tuned for future workshop dates.
- Restoration overhang by Kenneth L. Allen
- Identifying Biopsy needs by Rolf Christensen
- Carious Lesion Treatment by Supattriya Chutinan
- Reversible Pulpitis by Grace M. De Souza
- Periodontal Case by Barbara Leatherman Dixon
- Differential Lesion Diagnosis by Peter Duda
- Rubber Dam Placement by Golda Erdfarb
- Class II Restoration by Eileen R. Hoskin
- Absent Normal Anatomy by Ernest Lam
- Lesion Management by Frank W. Licari
- Patient Mangement of Restoration overhang by Steven Resnick
- Treatment Planning by Anuradha Prakki
- Dental Impression Errors by Sepideh Shaffer
- Periodontal Examinations by Speed McIntyre
- Class III Restoration by John W. Strange
- Lesion Management by Eli Whitney
OSCE Resource Library
View and download OSCE curriculum developed by your fellow educators. Check back as more OSCEs are added regularly upon receipt.
- Use as is or customize to your curriculum.
- A shared resource for ALL educators.
- Includes both "textbook" and modified for virtual use.
- Check back for new additions.
OSCE Submission Framework
Have a topic? Click here for step-by-step instructions on creating your submission. Questions? Please email CDEN Program Manager: Diane_Peterson@colpal.com.
Valerie Nieto RDH, MS