Handling Patient Fears
Fiona Collins BDS, MBA, MA, FPFA, Noel Kelsch RDH, RDHAP, AS, BS
This podcast will discuss origins of dental fear, including due to COVID-19. This is followed by a discussion on ways to try to alleviate patient fear associated with COVID-19 and the dental office.
After completing this podcast, listeners should be able to:
- Review causes of fear among patients
- List and describe methods to help reduce patient fear in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Handling Patient Fears” is co-sponsored by Tribune Group GmbH. Tribune Group GmbH is a recognized ADA CERP and AGD PACE provider.
At the end of the podcast, after passing the C.E. Quiz, you will be able to download your ADA CERP and AGD PACE C.E. Certificates.
- Ahmed MA, Jouhar R, Ahmed N, Adnan S, Aftab M, Zafar MS, Khurshid Z. Fear and practice modifications among dentists to combat novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17:2821. doi:10.3390/ijerph17082821
- American Dental Association. Interim Guidance for Minimizing Risk of COVID-19 Transmission. Available at: https://www.ada.org/~/media/CPS/Files/COVID/ADA_COVID_Int_Guidance_Treat_Pts.pdf
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation. ANSI/AAMI ST79-2017. Comprehensive guide to steam sterilization and sterility assurance in health care facilities. Arlington, VA.
- CDC. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Dental Settings. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/dental-settings.html
- CDC. Guidelines for infection control in dental health-care settings—2003. MMWR 2003;52(RR- 17):1-66.
- Collins FM, Lamster IB. Anxiety and Endodontic Treatment. Colgate Oral Health Network. Available at: https://www.colgateoralhealthnetwork.com/article/anxiety-and-endodontic-treatment/
- Collins FM. Oral Health Literacy. Colgate Oral Health Network. Available at: https://www.colgateoralhealthnetwork.com/article/oral-health-literacy/
- Huaqiu Guo H, Zhoub Y, Liu X, Tan J. The impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on the utilization of emergency dental services. J Dent Sci, March 2020. In Press. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jds.2020.02.002
- Kelsch N, Kelsch M. Identifying and Treating Patients with PTSD. Available at: https://www.dentallearning.net/files/PTSD_Web_CE_Bookmark.pdf
- Sherman J, Carlson C, Wilson J, Okeson J, McCubbin J. Posttraumatic stress disorder among patients with orofacial pain. J Orofac Pain. 2005;19(4):309-17.
- Wright E, Thompson R, Paunovich E. Post-traumatic stress disorder: considerations for dentistry. Quintessence Int. 2004;35(3):206-10.