SARS-COV-2 and COVID-19: What We Know
Fiona Collins BDS, MBA, MA, FPFA
This podcast will discuss the origins of the SARS-COV-2 virus causing the COVID-19 pandemic. This will be followed by a review of the virus, its transmission routes, infectivity, symptoms, risk factors and the current status of this pandemic.
After completing this podcast, listeners should be able to:
- Review the origins of SARS-COV-2 and human=to-human transmission routes
- List and describe symptoms of COVID-19 and individual at greater risk of severe COVID-19 disease.
“SARS-COV-2 and COVID-19: What We Know” is co-sponsored by Tribune Group GmbH. Tribune Group GmbH is a recognized ADA CERP and AGD PACE provider.
At the end of the podcast, after passing the C.E. Quiz, you will be able to download your ADA CERP and AGD PACE C.E. Certificates.
- Bodin M. Coronaviruses Often Start in Animals — Here’s How Those Diseases Can Jump to Humans. Discover. April 2, 2020. Available at: https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/coronaviruses-often-start-in-animals-heres-how-those-diseases-can-jump-to
- CDC. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Dental Settings.
- CDC. Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). How COVID-19 Spreads. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html
- CDC. Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). Pregnancy and Breastfeeding. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/pregnancy-breastfeeding.html
- Gu J, Han B, Wang J. COVID-19: Gastrointestinal manifestations and potential fecal-oral transmission. Gastroenterology. 2020 Mar 3. pii: S0016-5085(20)30281-X. [Epub ahead of print]https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2020.02.054
- Harvard Health Publishing. COVID-19 basics. Symptoms, spread and other essential information about the new coronavirus and COVID-19. Available at: https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-basics
- Lipsitch M. Estimating case fatality rates of COVID-19. The Lancet. Published March 31, 2020. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30245-0
- Mousavizadeh L, Ghasemi S. Genotype and phenotype of COVID-19: Their roles in pathogenesis. J Microbiol, Immunol and Infection. 31 March 2020. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1684118220300827
- Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The epidemiology and pathogenesis of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. J Aut. 2020. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896841120300469?via%3Dihub
- Smithsonian Magazine. A Tiger in the Bronx Zoo Tested Positive for COVID-19. April 8, 2020. Available at: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tiger-bronx-zoo-tested-positive-covid-19-180974624/
- van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH, et al. Aerosol and surface stability of SARS-CoV-2 as compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med. 2020. Available at https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
- WHO. Preliminary estimation of the basic reproduction number of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in China, from 2019 to 2020: A data-driven analysis in the early phase of the outbreak - Jan. 30, 2020.
- WHO. Statement on the meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - WHO, January 23, 2020.
- Worldometer. Coronavirus. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/